Guidance For Iseries Email Troubleshooting
The solutions for the commonly occurring iSeries email problems are listed below.
- SMTP problem analysis
- Tracking undelivered mail
- Checking problems with Send MIME Mail (QtmmSendMail) API
- Checking components journals
Solution 1 - SMTP problem analysis
- Check if you have all the necessary PTFs.
- Also, check if all the necessary email servers are running.
- Navigate to Operations Navigator and go to the iSeries 400 server.
Local domain name
- Select the Network option followed by the Protocols option.
- Double-click the TCP/IP option, navigate to the Host Domain Information tab, and verify your domain name.
SMTP retry values
- Click Network -> Servers -> TCP/IP.
- Double-click the SMTP option, navigate to the Outbound Mail Retries tab, and set the low SMTP retry value.
User ID and address
- Select the Users and Groups option followed by the All Users option.
- Right-click your profile and click Properties.
- Select the Personal option, navigate to the Mail tab, and verify the address.
Solution 2 - Track undelivered email
- Enter CRTUSRPRF in the command line to create a new user ID.
- Next, type the WRKDIRE command in the command line.
- Enter 1 to include the user to the system distribution directory.
- The Mail Store and Preferred Address values should be 2 and 3, respectively for iseries email troubleshooting.
- Select PF19 and enter the SMTP address that you want to use for any POP user.
Solution 3 - QtmmSendMail API
- Check the following.
- API call
- MIME file
- Mail server framework jobs
Solution 4 - Checking components journals
- The iSeries server uses various queues and journaling documents. Using these, you can find the reason why the email server is not delivering your email message.
- The journaling function helps to document the items that are listed here.
- Tracking and some measurement data
- To enable journaling, go to Operations Navigator and navigate to iSeries.
- Click the Network option and select the Servers option followed by the TCP/IP option.
- Double-click the SMTP option and select the checkbox next to the ‘Enable journal entries’ option.
- Now, the journaling function has been enabled for iseries email troubleshooting.